26 June 2008

Birds

Just a few words on birds during the month of June.

Magpies:
Our pair of magpies has turned into a family of five.

"One for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl, four for a boy, five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told, eight for a wish, nine for a kiss, ten for a time of joyous bliss."

I look forward to the Silver turning up!!

It was quite funny to watch the young, in their early outings from the nest, chasing baby rabbits around the lawn. They have now learned to live in peace! It was also funny to watch two of the youngsters trying to eat a rubber ball that had been left in the field by Brandy! One other habit the whole family have is to get as much seed as possible from the feeders, which obviously are not designed for large birds. They have stood on rocks and reached up until I moved the feeders away from the rocks. They then stood on the bird bath and launched themselves at the feeder, thus knocking seed to the ground, where they able to eat in comfort.

Blue Tits:
We had one, and possibly two, families of Blue Tits in the roof. All now seem to have successfully flown the nest.

Sparrows:
One family of sparrows have now vacated the nest that was in the garage roof.

Swallows:
There are some swallows in the area although we don't see them very often. I did catch one coming out of our large shed one day and subsequently found two flying around inside the garage. They had, I guess, come in over the top of the roller door and forgotten the way out. They soon vanished when I opened the door and haven't been seen since.

Robins:
These are probably the friendliest of the garden birds, or possibly the least afraid of humans. I can almost guarantee that if I am digging in the garden or hedgerow, a Robin will turn up, look at me and then jump down and pinch the worms and insects that I have disturbed.

Buzzard:
Looking out of the kitchen window one day, I spotted a Buzzard sat on top of an electricity pole; when viewed through binoculars, it was sitting on top of a rabbit, which it was tearing apart. It subsequently flew off, complete with its prey.

Others:
The Goldfinches disappeared for a while but have now turned up again. I have not seen any sign of a family of them, which is a shame. We still see the odd Greenfinch, Chaffinch and Dunnock with plenty of Blue, Great and Coal Tits. We have a pair of Wagtails who rarely come into the actual garden but spend hours in the field. Likewise Blackbirds prefer the field to the garden as do the Wood Pigeons.

That's all for now; I was hoping for some photos but cannot get close enough, or do not have the camera when I do get close.

P.S. Nothing to do with birds, but I did see my first snake in the top field the other day. I think that it was an adder but wouldn't put too much money on it. As usual - no camera!

No comments: