20 January 2009

Bradford Visit

Last week we paid a visit to Bradford to see my Pop in order to help him sort out his Christmas Card list. He was very concerned that he had not felt well enough to send any cards, not surprising since he spent 11 days in hospital over Christmas. Prior to that visit I must just mention that we finally relocated a total of nine mice. We haven't had any more for over a week now so hopefully they are gone for a year or so.
On Wednesday 14 Jan we had an uneventful journey to Bradford; traffic was comparatively light and there were no accidents to hold us up. The only slow part of the journey was on the M1 because there are miles of roadworks with a 50 mph speed limit. We started the job of replying to Christmas Cards on the Wednesday evening and spent all day Thursday doing the same, finally finishing off on Friday. As a result of all that work, I now have a list of all the people, and their addresses, to whom Pop sends cards. This means that I can contact people more easily should he not feel up to sending cards on future occasions.
As well as doing that we spent hours sorting out piles of mail, mostly begging letters, and "returning to sender" those that I felt were definitely not wanted. We also sorted all the bills and sent off a claim for his time in hospital.
Maria spent hours sorting out cupboards and wardrobes and did several loads of washing so that when we left on Sunday, almost everything was up to date, beds changed etc.
We managed to take him out to lunch at Asa Nicholson's on Friday where he proved that he has a superb appetite. On the other days, Joan at the Friendly Cafe brought lunch to him. This is a tremendous help to him and a very generous task, most willingly done. Thanks are due to Joan and her staff.
On Saturday afternoon Maria and I went out to lunch at Murgatroyd's with Maria's brother Paul and his wife Bev. We had a lovely time and sincerely hope that the plans for their business are completed very soon. Good luck with that folks.
We took our leave on Sunday morning at about 10:15 and got into our house at about 16:30, having stopped briefly twice. It was a lovely dry and sunny day with no hold ups apart from the M1 road works. The sun was a bit of a problem since it was in my eyes virtually the whole way. South of Exeter we ran into some rain but, fortunately, it never amounted to much.

That's all for now.

No comments: